Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Northern WIldflowers


Great Spurred VioletPerhaps we will be passing through the area at the right time to see this beauty again. It is the Great Spurred Violet, Viola selkirkii. The blooms are quite large, and I knew the minute I saw it in 2003 that it was a new species for my life list!

pipsissewaHere's another northern treat, the pipsissewa Chimaphila umbellata. It had already gone to seed in May 2003. Maybe we'll see one in bloom this time!

See The Blog Plan for the Arrowhead Hike

2 comments:

VanillaSeven said...

Beautiful wildflowers. Always amazed me on how they can grew out between the rocks and many harsh place.

WiseAcre said...

I've yet to see a Great Spurred Violet. 2 - 4 inch flower on a little ole violet :) You should be out at the right time for those but I doubt you'll stay out long enough to catch the summer blooming Pipsissewa. (I've seen but no camera at the time)