Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Moose In Boots- a Sneak Peek


Moose in Boots preview page

I've decided to show you one of the concept pages from Moose in Boots. You might remember that I was going to spend all of January on this. Didn't happen. So I have tried for February. Happening slowly. So far I've managed to do only 4 of these pages. (This involves taking my original rough sketches, improving them, scanning to the computer and adding the text to see how it looks/ fits.)

Seriously, I'd like to complete this step really soon. Here's another "secret:" I'm going to the Philadelphia Flower Show again this year! I leave on Wednesday. So I want the concept book to be good enough to "test" on Marie's granddaughters, Anja and Mia. Kids are brutally honest, so I'll know for sure if it will work or not after that weekend.

But to get to that point I have 18 more pages to do in the next three days, plus 4 or 5 or 100 other things! Whatever. I'm not going to stress about it; at least I am working on the project again.

So, your peek plops you right into the middle of the book. I'm not going to give it all away today. But you should probably know that this is a story of a teenage moose named Morgan who has just left home to learn about life in the northwoods. At this point in the book he has hooked a tin cup on one of his horn buds, nibbled a trail marker from a tree (which is stuck on his lip), and stepped into a pair of boots to cover his "ugly" feet.

I added a tiny bit of color with pencils for the blog post. The final illustrations will be fully colored. I painted one, early on, to see if I thought I could do them well enough. I think I can, although I have to do that one over again... just need to get back into the groove... I haven't painted for years.


See The Puzzles- Jigsaw and Otherwise


14 comments:

Ann said...

Just from the page here it looks like a fun book to me. Good luck with your test critics and have fun at the flower show. Can't wait to see what pictures you'll come back with.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Oh, that looks so creative and so much fun. Can't wait for the finished product. Have a fantastic time at the flower show - how fun :)

Anonymous said...

Have fun on your trip, and I think your Moose In Boots will be a hit!

Marg said...

The Moose in boots looks like a super cute book. And your sketching is wonderful. I admire anyone that can do all that. It must be fun to do that sketching.

Glynis Peters said...

10/10 from me! Enjoy the flower show.

Jennifer Walker said...

Cute! I like how the moose is a little pigeon toed. :)

The Oceanside Animals said...

Hi! Off-topic, but yes, that is an old kerosene heater in that picture of Tucker refusing to use his new bed. The heater looked more comfortable in our log home back in New York but it still makes a nice stand for fake flowers. :-)

Lin said...

That's all we get??? What???! I want more! It looks great, Sharky!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I'm so excited that I get to go again! I don't even know what the theme is yet.

Jo- Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep everyone posted.

Icy- Thanks on both counts.

Marg- It gets to be more fun as I do more of it and my muscles seem to get back into the rhythm.

Glynis- Whoa... that's a really high rating based on one page, but I hope it's a prediction that comes true.

Jenn- Thanks for stopping by! I'm trying to keep him looking awkward and teen-ish.

Dennis- I knew it! One grandmother used one all the time. The smell still makes me feel sick.

Lin- maybe more later. Should be able to make some real progress if I get a positive reaction from the kids. They are very savvy book-kids.

Julia said...

Great project to be working on! I can't say I can draw but you should be proud of that ability. It's not easy by any stretch. Did my pdf file ever get through to you for my kids book? Maybe resend your email and I'll send you the file again and you can critique what I've got done on my kids book?

spinninglovelydays said...

I like! I like! I like! That's a great teaser, Sharkbytes. I'd love to read the entire thing. Hope you finish soon. :)

Gordon said...

I am looking forward to the book. We had to babysit this weekend and our three in April granddaughter was in our bed at 6:00 AM Sunday morning reading "If you give a moose a muffin" in the dark. She obviously knows the book by heart. I think that she needs a new moose book.

Rick (Ratty) said...

If the rest is anything like this, the kids are going to love it. I'm sure they'll confirm that when they see it all.

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- I haven't looked at your book yet, and I really apologize, since I'm the one who suggested the mutual exchange! We will talk!

Ivy- Well, not SOON, but hopefully soon in my spectrum of time.

Gordon- aren't you too grumpy to have grandkids? Just kidding! Perhaps you all will inspire me to finish it in time for you to read it to your "littles."

Ratty- Thanks! Will report. I'm not going to have the last 9 pages up to this level, but there are rough sketches and the text is complete.