Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Where the North Begins and the Fine Fruit Grows


"Where the North Begins and the Fine Fruit Grows" is proclaimed on a billboard as you enter a town just a bit south of where I live. It's for certain that fruit growing is a huge part of life in west Michigan. This time of year, hillsides are blanketed with blooming trees.

cherry orchard

Sometimes, they make the horizon completely "fluffy."

cherry orchard

When I took these pictures, most of the blooms were cherries. Most of what is grown here are sour cherries, but also a lot of black sweet cherries.

cherry orchard
The apples weren't in bloom yet, but the peaches were!

peach orchard
Hope you enjoyed the fruit tour.



10 comments:

Eric : Manila Blog said...

did you know that one of my dreams is be able to grow an apple tree here in our country - the Philippines? i guess unless I can control the temperatures and the weather then that's the only time I can make my dream come true.

RNSANE said...

I think fruit trees in bloom are always so beautiful...but,even more, I like the trees when they are bearing that wonderful fruit!! I, especially, like cherries.

rainfield61 said...

My feeling is mixed sour and sweet now.

vanilla said...

I did. Thank you.

john bain said...

And so did I.

Secondary Roads said...

I really like those cherries. What I really love about the fall is apple harvest. The odor of freshly picked apples is like a hint of heaven to me.

Emma Springfield said...

I love fresh fruit from the tree or berries from the vines. It is such a clean, fresh, real flavor.

Ann said...

I always love seeing the fruit trees in the spring with their blossoms.
We use to have dwarf fruit trees in our back yard when I was growing up.

Ferd said...

Love, love, LOVE northern Michigan cherries! Yum!

spinninglovelydays said...

Must be a fascinating time right now where you are. Is it sad that the only cherries I'm familiar with are maraschino cherries?