Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Mulberry Project Part 2


The day began at 4 am when Om's car wouldn't start. We finally got him on the road at 5 am, but by then I was awake. So, I decided to finish the mulberry project before it got too hot. But my brain (as you know) doesn't work well in the early morning. I forgot to take a picture of the next step.

Basically it wasn't much to see. I put the juice in a pan with sugar and simmered it till it reached 215 degrees F. That's not quite to the gel stage.

I had discovered this recipe a few years ago, and was interested because it is supposed to be for jelly without added pectin, but I learned back then that it doesn't really work- it won't set up into jelly. I'm sure it would with the addition of a green apple, which adds natural pectin, but the resulting syrup was a lot more interesting to me than jelly. I really like syrups.

jars of mulberry syrup

Here is what I got- 6 half pints of mulberry syrup, and the jars all sealed.

I didn't make waffles today. No, no, no- way too hot. This is a picture from another time, with syrup from the first batch on them. But you get the idea.


waffles with mulberry syrup


We had big thunderstorms all morning, and then the heat and humidity kicked in again. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow. I hope so.


See Mulberry Project Part 1

11 comments:

Ferd said...

I'm hungry right now after a long day at work, so this looks SOOOO good!!! :-)

Emma Springfield said...

Yum. Waffles sound good. Mulberry syrup sounds like they would be better.

spinninglovelydays said...

I have to show this to Midge. She's been asking me about mulberries because of that "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" song... I don't think I've had any, even in commercial syrup or jelly form, so I'm really curious too.

ChicSassyMom said...

Nice! :) I love the jars you used too. Now, I'm truly craving for a waffle too. I wish we're as lucky as you to have mulberry trees. Sometimes I treat my son to a mulberry concentrated drink, which is kinda pricey. But it's okay, since it's super healthy. :) If I'm in your area, I'll definitely order those preserves you made. :)

john bain said...

My blog today was a bit of a waffle.

Ann said...

haven't had waffles in ages and they sure look good with that syrup on them

vanilla said...

Yummie!

rainfield61 said...

I do not have enough mulberry for making jam, jelly or syrup.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Mulberry syrup would be great! I'm not sure I could stop myself from eating all the mulberries first though.

Sharkbytes said...

Ferd- for sure, waffles are not just for breakfast!

Emma- i think they are very much better with "real" syrups and hot that icky stuff from the store.

ivy- it's rarely processed commercially- not sure why

des- a friend and i are considering doing specialty orders of syrups and things, but all minor efforts i've made to market them don't seem to take off. thanks for stopping by!

john- haven't been by yet- i'll catch you later though

ann- we love waffles- but they aren't really on our diets, so we only do them as treats

vanilla- just for you!

rainfield- i think they are a northern treat

ratty- i doubt that even you could eat a gallon of mulberries- at least there might be unintended consequences

RNSANE said...

Waffles and mulberry syrup sound wonderful. Of course, it's about sixty degrees here!