Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Basswood Fruits

basswood fruit

Here, at long last, is one more peek into the life cycle of the basswood tree. These are the fruits. I've now showed you everything except the blossoms, which I managed to miss. Actually, there were several of these trees in bloom along the Little Manistee River that we saw and smelled on our canoe trip a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't manage to get any pictures.

However, here are the fruits from my tree. They are really uniquely shaped. The berries themselves are round, but they hang below that odd little linear "leaf" (it's not really a leaf but a bract), as if the stem had grown right through it.

As a reminder, here is the dried stem and bract, often found on the snow in winter. The round seeds are missing.




Trying to get the new computer set up... mostly by doing a large variety of tasks tonight to make sure I have all the software and things I may need while on the road.

See A Basswood Mystery

See A Basswood Mystery Solved

5 comments:

Ann said...

a bract huh? very interesting. I don't recall ever seeing one of these before.

john bain said...

I believe that Basswood is a popular timber with wood carvers.

Lin said...

That's really odd how the berries come from the leaves. I don't think we have those trees here.

rainfield61 said...

The computer job is a tough job.

But the later part on the road is exciting.

RNSANE said...

How nice to have a new computer. I sure need one but there isn't the money. Guess my old one will go to India and that's probably best!