Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hiking at Craig Lake State Park


I'm here in Marquette, with my friend Lorana, who is letting me stay here. I'm giving my program tonight for the North Country Trail Hikers Chapter.

However, today, we went out hiking with a visiting group from Harbor Springs. They are hiking various sections of the North Country Trail in the Upper Peninsula. We started at Craig Lake State Park and headed east as far as the outlet for Crooked Lake, then returned. Total, about 8 miles.

Craig Lake State Park

The morning was quite chilly, which felt delightful.

tree with large burl

There were rocks and hills, but this sight was slightly unusual. Look at the size of the burls on that tree!

Crooked Lake Outlet

We walked four miles to the bridge over the Crooked Lake Outlet, where we sat on the bridge and ate our lunches. It was nice to have a little sun on our shoulders.

red maple leaves

Look what's happening already- the leaves are starting to turn colors. Fall is coming!

I should be home again by this time tomorrow.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

7 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

Love the colours of Fall! I have a penpal who used to send me the first leaves of Fall and I would press them between the pages of books I was reading. :)

RNSANE said...

What a lovely area to hike! The scenery is amazing. It must have been kind of fun to have a group with you. It's hard to believe that the summer has gone by so quickly. I am almost on by way to India. I've just gotten my Steripen. I hope it works well but I am also ordering tablets for backup to purify water. I have to buy lithium batteries, too. So muc yet to do in the next month!

sir rob said...

I always envied you every time I saw this trail.

Ann said...

What a wonderful hike that was. I've noticed some of the leaves starting to change here also.

jeanlivingsimple said...

Shark...you are a true inspiration! Thanks for helping me get my "feet moving". Keep on sharing!

Lin said...

Oh, it looks so pretty there. Thanks for "taking me along"! :)

wiseacre said...

I'm hoping to use my walking stick soon, until then I'll have to be satisfied watching you hike. (everything I've posted lately has been within a few hundred ft. of my house)