Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, November 7, 2011

More About the Tamarack

tamarack

Chuck says he likes tree ID, so that's what you get today. I've been saving these pix to do this anyway. This is sometimes called Tamarack, sometimes Larch. The European larch is not the same as this one, although they are both Larix. This one is Larix laricina. Note the fuzzy look and conical shape (although sometimes they just look oddly shaped).

tamarack

The soft needles grow in tufts all along the branches, and even the main stem.

tamarack

But, as you saw yesterday, they turn yellow in the fall and then all the needles come down for the winter. I'll try to get some pictures in the spring. There is hardly a softer green possible than a regenerating tamarack.

They grow in acid, wet soil... bogs.

Tonight I made a gallon of apple cider. Yum!

See Fresh Apple Cider- No Press Needed
if you like this blog, click the +1  

5 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Sad to say we do not see a lot of European Larch these days - mainly Japanese but very similar.

Secondary Roads said...

Thanks for this latest installment of tree ID. On our visit to Tahquamenon, we learned that the river water is stained brown by the cedar and tamarack in the bogs.

Ann said...

I always assumed all the trees that looked like this kept their needles all year long. Interesting

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- I would not know the difference... I'm just trying to keep up with the ones here!

Chuck- it's the tannin, from those and oak trees too

Ann- there are a few deciduous conifers. I have pictures of the other NA one, which I'll try to find one of these days and do a post about it.

sir rob said...

If you didn't noticed, the second picture had the same effect in your 2nd picture in your Green and Gold post.

Here's my travel photolog URL which you can also click in my name posted here.. http://sirrob.info/

Thanks