Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mock Orange

 
I see that I showed this shrub two years ago, but these are better pictures, and it's still one of my favorites, so I don't think you'll mind a repeat.

mock orange

The basic shrub is very old-fashioned, but there are new cultivars with larger blooms. I think this is one of the cultivars, maybe Philadelphus coronarius. The traditional one is Philadelphus virginalus.

Even the buds on this are beautiful.

mock orange

We had one in our yard when I was a child, and it was my favorite of the flowering shrubs. The scent is perfect, to my way of thinking. Sweet but not cloying, with just a hint of citrus-y spice. I would love to have one again.

mock orange

This time I looked up where it fits in the taxonomic world. It's actually related to the Hydrangeas. Who knew?! I would have guessed Rose family, but then I was reminded when I saw it that it only has four petals, so that would be unlikely.

mock orange

Even though most everything here is blooming late this year, I see from my previous post that it was blooming on June 20th, 2011. So that's just about the same timing.

See Two Favorites and a New Bloom
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


5 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

It really is a nice looking shrub. I don't remember it from back then, but I don't remember most things anymore.

Unknown said...

This is a new one on me. It's very beautiful. I wonder if we can get them here.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Looks identical to the one we have here, it's one of my favourites.

Ann said...

That is pretty and from your description I think I would love the scent as well

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- you just weren't noticing plants

Jean- I'm thinking yes, since Carol is also on your side of the pond.

Carol- you answered Jean's question

Ann- I know you would.