Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Real Reason I Bought the Weed Whacker

 
As responsible as it makes me look, all that whacking of the overgrown lawn was not even on my radar when I bought the nice sharp tool.

What I really had in mind was clearing my trail out back.

trail through grass

I actually did this beginning part with a thin little weed whip we still had. It, however, was old and broke beyond repair after a very short distance.

trail through grass

The section pictured above is the most important part, and I'd never have been able to do it without the new tool. I want to be able to ski "my" track this winter. Going down this hill, without the trail cleared is just plain dangerous. A few years back, the tip of a ski caught under a vine that was just under the fluffy snow and I hurt a knee bad enough that it was the end of skiing for that year. Not happening again. I did a really good job on this section.

At the bottom of the hill, there's a turn.

trail through grass

Headed to go between the pines on the right and an ugly autumn olive.

trail through grass

Made it through there, and on the way to the next hill. There's a bunch of trimming to be done yet, but I can do that after the grass gets knocked down. Yes it's slow. Yes, it's kinda dumb. But I'm getting there.

Well, not really. There's probably no way I'll get it all done before snow flattens the grass, but with that first hill cleared, I'll feel ok about skiing. It's just easier if there was a cut path underneath.


See First Skiing This Season
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like aome good qinter fun.

Ann said...

nothing dumb about that if it's going to keep you safe when your skiing

Secondary Roads said...

Way to plan ahea
d.

RNSANE said...

Very industrious - but you will reap the benefits when your land is carpeted in mounds of snowy white.