Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, October 14, 2017

An Award and a Goal

 
This blog post is basically all about writing. At least that's the vine from which all the tendrils will emanate.

In the heyday of blogging there were a lot of awards floating around. I received some of them. They were/are more fun than meaningful, but that's OK.

Over a month ago, I was nominated for the Liebster Award by (Donna) D.B. McNicol of Romance and Mystery... Writing My Life. Thanks, Donna!

Liebster award
"Liebster" is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. It is an online recognition in form of virtual award which started in 2011 passed on by bloggers to fellow bloggers for enjoying and valuing their work. The idea is to recognize the effort and give credit.

I did realize that Donna was a writing acquaintance (also Facebook friends), but hadn't been aware that she writes small town mysteries. Had to sample her fare! I bought the first book in her series, Not A Whisper, and was delighted. Not only does she nail the small town atmosphere, but the plot was good, the characters fun. It's got more romance than my mysteries, but all tastefully done. Today, I bought the second one, Barely a Spark, because the books just flow from one to the other, like a serial story. Have to see what happens next! You can find links from her blog or locate her on Amazon.

Not only that, the books are set near Bradford, Pennsylvania, on the fringes of the Allegheny National Forest. I spent a weekend more or less sitting on curbs in Bradford a long time ago with car trouble. Marie, David and I had just finished our first long hike on the North Country Trail, which goes the length of the ANF. I felt at home in the stories.

So, here are the terms of the award.

The Liebster Award is received by writing an acceptance post. The rules for accepting the award are straightforward:

Thank the person who nominated you.
Answer the 11 questions you were asked.
Nominate 11 people and ask them 11 questions.
Notify each of the nominees on their blog.

Here are the 11 questions. Some have been answered from time to time, but I'll play occasionally.

1. What prompted you to begin blogging? This has been answered many times. See The Raison d'etre of My Quality Day

2. Which language would you like to learn? I have a half-forgotten knowledge of French. I'd like to revive that, or maybe learn Russian.

3. What was your favorite experience in the past six months? Hmmm. That just manages to exclude finishing hiking the Buckeye Trail, so I think it was correctly identifying the plant Picris Hieracioidies, and having the sample accepted to the University of Michigan Herbarium.

4. What one location in the world you would like to visit? Why? One? I have to choose one? I choose all of them. Why? I have terminal wanderlust.

5. Do you have pets? If yes, please introduce them. Not any more, except maybe the daddy-long-legs in the shower. Many of you remember Maggie the Vizsla.

6. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten? A pork brain patty sandwich in a diner in Ohio.

7. What is your biggest struggle while writing? Sitting down and turning the 10 million ideas into actual words.

8. Who would you like to receive a week of training/mentorship from? No clue. I have learned good things from expected teachers and mentors, and good things from unexpected sources.

9. What is the first thing you drink in the morning? Juice, preferably tart.

10. How many books do you read per month? This has slipped a bit since I have discovered online games (insert sheepish grin). but it's still somewhere around four.

11. What was your favorite time of year when you were growing up? Spring. I love the fresh smell of air and earth and all the flowers and buds popping with life.

I'm not sure I can nominate 11 other blogs. I don't think I read that many any more. I'll nominate the ones I do still visit. They can accept or not. These bloggers have all become friends beyond that casual use of the word that we fling around with online discussions. Some have become real-life friends. Some are also writers. At any rate, they are all people I feel a lasting connection with who still blog fairly regularly. Alphabetically by blog name, with the "connection":

Ann's Snap Edit Scrap Ann Thompson- crafts and dog
Dennis' Diary of Destruction James Viscosi- dog, humor, writing
Everyday Adventurer Ratty- my first blogging friend ever- love of nature
Seasons in the Valley Stew Hilts (The Furry Gnome)- love of nature, trails
Secondary Roads Chuck Hutchinson- country life, faith
Some Assembly Required John Sealander- dog, writing- we are similar in many ways, eerily so at times.
String too Short to Tie Dave Lacy (Vanilla)- country life, writing, faith

Accept if you want, folks!

And now for the goal- another writing tendril. This involves two decisions. I decided almost two weeks ago that I wanted to finish Dead Mule Swamp Druggist in time for people to buy it for Christmas.

However, there was a second related decision. Just wanting to do it wasn't going to get it done. There aren't very many days that I have a brain that isn't just a pile of mush. I'm tired from working a lot. So, I have to decide to write more, even when it's hard and I don't think I can. Like today. But I managed to squeeze out half a chapter. It was slow. Not efficient. But it was progress. There will have to be progress made almost every day. (A lot like the trailer project, which isn't going very fast either, but that's on a different vine altogether.)

Anyway. I'm putting this out there because you folks may help me be accountable. Here's to Dead Mule Swamp Druggist!

Dead Mule Swamp Druggist
See Peaceful, Productive and Pink
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

4 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Well thank you very much - more for considering me a friend than for the award. I'll have to give it some thought. Just a little busy now; four sleeps left until we move!

Rick (Ratty) said...

Thanks for sending the award my way. It kind of made my day. There used to be so many blog awards and now I rarely see them. So many blogging friends are gone. I'm glad for the ones who are still here. I'll try to do a post on this one, even though I've been bad about doing them in the past. It's always been kind of hard for me to seriously talk about myself without it being a prank of some sort.

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay kongratchoolayshuns on yore award!!! i do indeed reemember my old frend maggie the vizsla hoo lukd so mutch like my brother tucker the vizsla!!! and thank yoo for passing it along to me!!! i meen i did notiss that yoo menshund my dada but of korse it is for me so i wil hav to dust off the old sunday award and meem show set and teetch the hipsters how to be my cohosts!!! ok bye

Donna B. McNicol said...

Thank you so much for the read of books one and two (and now there is a three). I lived in that area for three years and fell in love with it. I'd be there now if it weren't for the cold winters.

Great job on meeting the challenge!!